Why Fourth Finger is called the Wedding Ring Finger ???
Posted by Deepak Shetty on March 9, 2010
Marriage cannot be completed without a wedding ring. In some countries a couple can wed each other only by exchanging wedding ring. A wedding ring is often worn on the left ring finger, which is the fourth finger from the thumb of the left hand. It is a traditional belief that the “vein of love” directly ran from the heart to the fourth finger of the left hand. It is only because of this belief that in some countries the wedding ring is placed on the fourth ring finger of the left hand.
In the Indian wedding tradition, the left hand is considered inauspicious. Hence the wedding ring is worn on the right hand. However, despite tradition the wedding ring symbolizes love, fidelity and marital commitment to each other.
There is a one more convincing explanation given by the Chinese Of Why should the wedding ring be worn on the fourth finger…It says
Thumb represents your — Parents
Second (Index) finger represents your Siblings
Middle finger represents Your Self
Fourth (Ring) finger represents your Life Partner
Last (Little) finger represents your Children
- Firstly, open your palms (face to face), bend the middle fingers and hold them together – back to back
- Secondly, open and hold the remaining three fingers and the thumb – tip to tip (As shown in the figure Above)
- Now, try to Separate your Thumbs (representing the parents)…, they will open, because your parents are not destined to live with you lifelong (Sorry but its the Truth), and have to leave you sooner or later.
- Please join your thumbs as before and separate your Index fingers (representing siblings)… ., they will also open, because your brothers and sisters will have their own families and will have to lead their own separate lives.
- Now join the Index fingers and separate your Little fingers (representing your children)… ., they will open too, because the children also will get married and settle down on their own some day…
- Finally, join your Little fingers, and try to separate your Ring fingers (representing your spouse).
You will be surprised to see that you just CANNOT ..,
Coz Husband & Wife have to remain together all their lives – through thick and thin.. !!
Does this theory convince you… ???
Other Blog posts: